Wednesday, July 21, 2021

July 21, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. The Token Tourist.

Last summer my friend Sandra named me her Token Tourist. She and her husband Bob moved to Liverpool 30 years ago from the eastern townships just outside of Montreal. Both she and Bob have family there going back many generations. So they always had company during the summer. In addition, she has many friends who only live here during the warm months so she is used to seeing friends only for the summer. But not last year. Although her daughter lives in Toronto, they were unable to visit Nova Scotia. Nor could her friends and family members living in the US. No company at all for Sandra in 2020. I was the only Token Tourist. I made the most of my position. We ate lunch out several times. And Sandra twice invitd me for dinner along with friends John and Nancy. Anna dropped me off when she left for the day and John and Nancy brought me home. So I enjoyed visiting with Sandra. This year will be different. Her daughter and her husband have already given their arrival date. And many other friends will be here after the border is open on August 9. This year I will not be a token. I am merely a friend who lives here for the summer.

No comments: