Tuesday, March 10, 2015

March 10, 2015. Ridgeland, MS. Rain.

Yesterday I went for a short walk around the end of the reservoir. By the time I got home, it was raining so my cross the parking lot neighbor took me the rest of the way home with an umbrella. The frequent rain is a good thing because the foliage is always green but on the other hand, lots of folks get caught out on their walk, just like me. We have never lived in a place with 52 inches of rain each year. Vancouver, where I grew up, gets 32 inches as does Toronto. The difference between Vancouver and Toronto is the intensity. Vancouver rain comes in a drizzle and lasts for a long time where as Toronto rain comes down in a deluge, then stops. Jackson seems to get rain every few days. But I am not complaining. The trees and shrubs are big and beautiful, all due to the rain and the soil. The foliage is lush and the lilies are huge. All you must do is to always keep your raincoat in the car!! The good folks in the Hill Country of Texas always pray for rain. Always. When you live there as we do at the ranch, you definately do not need to have alternate options for location due to rain. In Jackson, it is essential, as is Vancouver. In Toronto, you just wait until the rain stops. But living with 52 inches of rain a year is definitely different.

No comments: