Tuesday, September 10, 2019

September 10, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Lunch with Another Widow.

She lives down the road from us at Western Head. They preceeded us so I have known her for the past 21 years. She and her husband and daughter also are seasonal residents, who lived here when their only daughter was not in school. We were never more than social friends but we saw they at social events and band concerts. In 2016, her husband died so she is a widow. Last summer I invited her and her daughter over for coffee. We had a pleasant visit. This year, they were only here a short time because the daughter is now working, but when I knew they had arrived I invited them for lunch, but only my friend could come as the daughter was too busy getting ready to leave. I was hoping to get hints on becoming a successful widow. Lunch went well and we had fun. But as far as I could find out, she is doing nothing independently since becoming a widow. She has no plans to do anything, except to come up here when the daughter is available. I suggested she spend all summer here but according to her that is out of the question. She can drive but makes no trips around her own home in the US. My opinion is that she is looking for senility to set in. I asked what she does all day and the only part of the day that she described was when she drank her gin and tonic in the evening and makes a thank you to her husband. We enjoyed our lunch but what I learned was not to do when you are a widow. She does not seem to have developed any new life other than her life with the daughter. I do feel sorry for the daughter. My friend needs to get a life.

No comments: