Sunday, September 15, 2019

September 15, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Country Music.

One problem living in Eastern Canada is the time zone. The Country Music special, shown tonight, did not begin until 9. And the program runs 2 hours. PBS has been advertising the program for months. This evening I watched the first segment. Tomorrow evening I will watch episode 2. I loved every minute of the first, which dealt with the history of country music. Ken Burns showed many old clips and records from the twenties and thirties. I had never seen these old musicians even though I have heard of them. The history of the Carter Family was fascinating. There were lots of old pictures and recordings. And Jimmy Rogers was featured too. I knew of his songs but not his history. Now I know. The poor fellow had TB and had a career of 6 years before he died in his mid 30's. They played a recording of the young Louis Armstrong playing his trumpet while Kenny Rodgers sang and played his guitar. It was quite beautiful. I look forward to watching the segment 2 tomorrow. But I would prefer being in Mississippi where the time would begin at 7 rather than 9. The program should be worth staying up late.

No comments: