Monday, September 9, 2019

September 7, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Storm Day.

I woke up at 7:15 to hear the roar of the sea. I knew the storm had arrived. I was expecting Dorian would arrive mid afternoon but the wind was already roaring around the house. And it was raining. I ate breakfast looking at the waves, which were already high. At 10:45 I checked the weather. The storm had damage in Charlston but is now yet in Nova Scotia. I was to expect hight wind and big seas with lots of rain. Then the TV went black. I knew I was in the midst of a real storm.. The power stopped at 12:30. The waves were higher than the morning. While I ate a late cold lunch, I sat at the window looking at the sea. Between Gill's house and mine, the Bay was frothy. The waves were so high that I could not see Gill's house. The sight was extraordinary. The waves were coming from two directions. When they met close to the shore the foam and rooster tails were as high up as my eye level. It was exciting and beautiful. By 8:00 the storm had passed and the sky looked normal. I was amazed at how quickly the storm passed. I ate cold roast beef, potatoes and carrots. I made sure to get upstairs and in my nightshirt before the end of twilight. I used a big flashlight, the same one that Dave and Irene used to get to the Guest House each night. I read using the good light from the flashlight until 10:30. I slept soundly. Ken's sculpture watched over the whole storm. He would have loved watching the waves. They were astonishing in their size. I survived the storm all by myself.

No comments: