Friday, September 13, 2019

September 13, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Women's National Hockey Team.

The best hockey players from across Canada are here at a hockey camp at our arena in Liverpool. They have been here all week. The women are age 18 to 34 and are being evaluated to see who will make the final National team for Canada. It is all very exciting except I did not know anything about it until today. When I walked at the arena today I found them practicing their drills. These ladies were good. There are 49 players at camp. They must be invited to attend. Everywhere around the stands were people taking notes. I talked with a couple of the officials, who told me everything I know. Some ladies who are already on the national team are here. But they will be evaluated along with everyone else. "Just because they are on the last team does not mean they will be on next years team", she said. After this camp, the number will decrease, while they play exhibition games across Canada and against other countries. The Canadian Hockey organization was not happy with the results of the past few years so the ladies are running the show apart from the Men's National team. These women will stay and play as a team before playing at the World Cup of hockey next year. I was excited to see these ladies play. The 49 players have been divided onto 4 teams. Every day they have drills and every day they play a game, all in our arena. I wish I could drive. I would watch every game. Some of those ladies will be playing for the country of Canada next year. So exciting having the tryouts in Liverpool.

No comments: