Thursday, September 26, 2019

September 26, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Country Music.

Fortunately, the series has ended so I can go to bed at a decent time, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the PBS shows. My brother was smarter and recorded them, and now are watching one at a time in the afternoon. . The movies are really the history and evolution of Country Music and the industry that grew around it. Most of my life I have been listening to these singers so I was interested to find out how these folks got famous. I am always keen to see the early development of talent. During the series we saw 6 and 8 year old children performing and playing. Marty Stuart started touring at age 13 with the Scraggs band. I hope the modern musicians do a better job of looking after themselves. So many died early due to drug or alcohol abuse. I was startled to discover that Hank Williams died at 30. Not good. And I love the early pictures and recordings of the Carter family. The first series done by Ken Burns was wonderful, which was The Civil War. After that early movie, his quality dropped and became political. But this series I really enjoyed, perhaps because I am a history buff and perhaps because most of the artists are familiar to me. And I have heard most of the tunes. No matter what, staying up at night to watch Country Music evolve right in front of me was worth the time. But tonight I am ready to go to bed early.

No comments: