Monday, September 16, 2019

September 16, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Lunch at Paul's.

Paul's German restaurant is the most unusual place in town. I always expect them not to survive the next year, but I would be wrong. The place is small, about 7 tables, housed in a house right at the end of the main street. It has no parking. They serve only German food, which is not the most popular food in the world. And the chef, whose name is Hans, may be the most difficult chef in the world. But here it is, still open and apparently staying solvent. The last time we were there which was two years ago, we were with Dave and Irene. The cook and the waitress had a major argument in the kitchen, which of course we could all hear. The waitress stormed out and slammed the door. Eventually she returned but it took us two hours to have lunch. This season I had not gone there for lunch so on Friday after we walked at the arena I suggested to Anna that we might see if it is still open. I was delighted to report that the food was delicious. Hans greeted us when we arrived and noticed the absence of Ken. He kindly gave me condolences. Anna asked to have her potatoes be half mashed and half fried, which he refused to do. I just laughed. That was just Hans being Hans. In the past years, they had only one menu. No special lunch menu was offered. But this summer we were given a lunch menu with lighter fare being served. I thought that was a step in the right direction. Hans is a good cook, just a bit eccentric. His food is excellent and we enjoyed our lunch. And we both took a box home. I was pleased to see him still in business.

No comments: