Thursday, December 10, 2020

December 10, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Swearing.

Ken and I lived over a hardware store on the corner of Howard and Bleeker Streets in downtown Toronto. We lived there for 5 years. Across the street was a large brick wall with no windows. The young men in the area played hand ball using the wall, the sidewalk and the street. They played for hours. And they had a good time. These were not children but young men. I do not know if they were at school or if they worked but I do know they played a lot of hand ball. They were good athletes. But what I most knew about them was their language, which was terrible. They would use the F. word several times in the same sentence. They used the word as a noun, an adverb, a verb and an adjactive. I just thought these young men had a limited vocabulary so used the same word in several ways. Evidently they all knew what was going on. Fast forward to now. Swear words are now acceptable even on Facebook. These perfectly lady like women use a swear word when describing someone with whom they disagree. The swear words do not even fit. Years ago, young men cursing was no worse than ladies swearing on Facebook. I still think that the lady just does not know enough vocabulary to accurately describe what she was saying. And I always wonder what happened to the loyal opposition? I did not like swearing sixty years ago but it was understandable but I like it even less when ladies swear on Facebook. Unssemly and silly I think. But I am 83.

No comments: