Monday, December 14, 2020

December 14, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Trains.

The Smithsonian channel has a program once a week on trains. I seldom see it because the time is not a time I usually watch TV. But today I watched while drinking my orange drink. And I was reminded how much I love to travel by train. Today was all about trains going through pretty places. Not much dialigue. I enjoyed the whole thing. When I was a young girl, train is how you got from one place to another when you moved. We went on the train when moving to Calgary but I do not remember much about that trip, except I know all three children took that trip. Then we moved to Vancouver by train when Dave was left behind to finish his last year of high school. Carol and I shared an upper birth. But the most memorable train journey was when we moved to Toronto in 1953 when I was the only child making the trip. Carol stayed in Vancouver to be in Dave and Irene's wedding the following October. I slept in the top birth while my Mother and Father were below me. But the best part was that we ate breakfast and dinner in the dining car. The dining car was fancy with linen tablecloths and serviettes. And I remember I was able to order two glasses of juice. The food was excellent. I enjoyed that journey and still vividly recall the meals and the sleeping. Now my goal is to travel across Canada on the train from Halifax to Vancouver. One of these years in the Autumn, that is what I will do. I fell in love with trains when I was a girl and never got over it. Now the question is whether or not I am able to take the journey all by myself? Mobility is an issue I am sure. Perhaps 2022 will be the year. I am already anticipating a good time on those trains.

No comments: