Sunday, December 20, 2020

December 20, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Old Age.

I often hear older people complain about their aches and pains. But I never do. I am just pleased to me 83. My sister Carol would have loved to be 86 right now but she died at age 77. If you were to ask me how I am, I would say that I am fine. But actually I am not fine. There are lots of things I am not able to do anymore so I just need more help to get through my days. Fortunately, in Mississippi, I have a wonderful group of family members, friends and neighbors who assist me with my life. First I have clever Christina and the girls. They help me in millions of ways both practical and socially. Then I have Kshina, who comes to me from Sitters Inc., the group who provided us helpers when Ken was ill. Kashina drives for me and works three mornings a week. My friends keep me company and meet me for coffee or lunch. My group of friends in Mississippi is not large but they are loyal. I also have two good neighbors who are marvellous. And last but not least is my lyft driver. He will drive me anywhere and anytime. I just call him the day ahead and he comes to the door. Then I contact Lyft and Forrest answers the call because he is the closest driver in the area. I have learned to ask for help. My friend Lisa asked me one day how I manage by myself taking airplane rides. After all I have limited vision and am somewhat unstable. I told Lisa that I just ask for help. I have been surprised with the extend of my helpers in Mississippi. After all, we only started to live here part time in 2009. Now, in 2020, I have a full complement of people who help me now that I am old. I am impressed with my family, friends and neighbors. And I am grateful.

No comments: