Sunday, November 21, 2021

November 21, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Scam Artists.

Who knew there were so many crooks in the world? Every week I receive calls on my cell phone trying to trick me into providing them information about my accounts. They are a big nuisance. In addition, my phone alerts me that a scam artist is on the line, so I do not answer the call. Or my phone will tell me that a telemarker is calling. So I click off the line. But some times a call will get through. Just this week a man called telling me that he was from Amazon and asking me is I had just ordered something from Amazon that cost $999. Of course I did not. So he told me that in order to get rid of this person using my account, he wanted me to log into my Amazon account. I was suspicious so started to ask questions, such as what credit card was used and why could Amazon not correct the charge. After a few minutes of questions from me, he hung up. I immediately contacted my Chase Visa folks who connected me with Amazon. I learning good information. Evidently Amazon never phones a customer unless they are making a follow up call. They would e mail if problems are spotted. Of course, no charges had been placed on my Amazon account. The crook on the phone just wanted to learm my credit card number and my Amazon number too. But I fooled him. Almost every week i receive calls wanting me to sell or rent my two weeks in Vidanta, a resort in Nuevo Vallarta. They are eager to send me an offer to buy my ownership. I do not really know if this is a real offer or not because I never speak to these folks. Several years ago the person on the phone would tell me that they were from Vidanta but now they tell me they work with a real estate brokerage and that they have several million dollars to buy the time shares. And they tell me that my owndership is worth a lot more than I paid for it. I am told by Vidanta that they never sell or lease so they tell me this is a scam. Evidently what they want is to send me an offer via e mail. If I accept their offer, they send me a deposit, which of course would be to my account. But I do not play their game. I quickly say NO. I never knew that so many people out in the world are crooks, wanting to steal other peoples money. An old lady such as me must be constantly on alert to these crooks. Certainly, they are a nuisance.

No comments: