Thursday, November 25, 2021

November 25, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Thanksgiving Day.

We have started our own tradition. For the second year in a row, we boycotted turkey. Instead, we ate steak. And we liked it. I have served turkey and all the trimmings all my life. Even when I was not really cooking, I would buy the turkey dinner at Primos, a local restaurant. Then follow their directions for heating all the food. But last year, because of Covid, the only family at Thanksgiving dinner was going to be Christina, Mary Frances, Molly and me. Kate was working. When Christina and I were discussing what to eat at our feast, she admitted that she did not really like turkey so we decided to eat steak. And we made our menu: I would order steaks from Allen Brothers Steak House and Christina would prepare cheesy potatoes and green beans. We were set last year. Our dinner was easy to prepare and easy to clean up. Plus we were not loaded down with left over food. So we were so successful with our Thanksgiving dinner last year that we decided to do it again, except this year Linda Creath joined us as well as Nelson, Christina's brother. We gave them no choice. We just told them we were eating steak. I ordered the steaks from the same place as last year and Christina cooked my favorite cheesy potatoes and green beans. Again our dinner was a hit. We also ate at Christina's house again. She reported that compared to preparing turkey and all the fixings, preparing our dinner was easy. Now we will always eat steak for Thanksgiving. No point breaking our tradition.

No comments: