Monday, November 8, 2021

November 8, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Meeting with Radiology.

One of the side benefits of being forced to undergo medical procedures is that I get to know new people. Last Thursday I met with the chief of radiology at the Cancer center of Baptist Hospital. I had met her last year too and I liked her this time all over again. She is another of these young lady doctors that have been looking after me. When Ken was in medical school, only two ladies were in his class. Now over 50% of medical students are women and I have enjoyed their competence and their enthusiasm. Dr. S., the radiology chief, showed me on the computer the spots that were glowing on my bone scan. And she told me the problems. Right behind the part of the sternum that shows the cancer is part of the heart so she will perhaps use a type of rays that do not penetrate all the way through the body. So I was told that I would have 10 treatments but it will take a few days to figure out what to do. Then we will begin. But first I must have a CT scan on the same day, not to be read by a radiologist but to use the location of my internal organs. The young man who gave the test is also pleasant and helpful and told me what will happen. And he marked my belly and my sides. I still have the marks on my belly from my first radiation from years ago, the one that clipped my carotid that caused me to lose my speech. I am a bit sensative about radiation. For some reason, the technitions are all men. I wonder why? As soon as I get the phone call from the radiologist, I will begin my treatments. Fortunately, I have great faith with all the people helping me. So now I await the phone call. And then I will begin.

No comments: