Monday, May 11, 2015

May 11, 2015. Harper, Texas. Monday Wash Day.

My Mother always washed clothes on Monday. Everybody did. It was like a rule. My life allows me to do laundry any day of the week but mostly I like to do laundry on Monday too and I don't know why. Perhaps it is a bit of nostalgia. Today I also changed the sheets and took off the flannel sheets, even though the temperature dropped today. I love flannel sheets but soon it it will be like summer here at the ranch and it is time to get rid of my cosy flannel sheets. This dire disease leaves me cold most of the time, so I love my flannel sheets but the time has come. So today I pretended I was in the mid 20th century and I changed the sheets and did all the laundry. For me it was a full time job. Robbie came over this morning at 10:00 and could not rouse us. Ken was at the computer and I was doing laundry so I guess it was noisy upstairs. He thought we were still in bed. Not so, although I must admit that I have been wearing my night shirt and housecoat all day. Decadence rules. During my months of treatment, I have been able to keep up with the minor tasks at home. I have always been able to complete the laundry although Ken has had to fold the clothes a few times. And with Christina's help. I have changed the bed. I have done little cooking but often moves food around from the fridge to the plate. Ken organizes most of our meals. And I still nap once or twice a day as I am still not supposed to get tired. Monday is wash day still in our family but often I do laundry other days as well. But it is only on Monday that I am reminded of my Mother, which is probably I like to do laundry on Monday.

No comments: