Sunday, May 3, 2015

May 3, 2015. Harper, Texas. The Fall.

I knew that eventually one of us would fall to the ground because we are both unstable. Ken fell in the kitchen of our new house in Mississippi but he fell against the refrigerator so he only got a big bruise. And Wonderful Wendy was right beside him to keep him upright He also fell in the shower but only against one wall, and fortunately not the door. Obviously, Wendy could not have helped!! So far I had suffered no falls. I use either a strong arm or the walker to keep me steady when I am outside. On the drive to the ranch from San Antonio we stopped at a rest area just to have a break. My walker was in the back of the truck so I decided to use the cane. Clearly that was a mistake. Coming back to the truck from the toilet, I mapped out a clever plan to cross the road where there was a ramp to avoid the steep curb. I did not wait for Ken, which was my second error. He had already noticed the dog tied up beside the big rig which I only noted as I was walking beside the big truck. When the dog growled, I turned quickly to get away but unfortunately, my feet will not move quickly while my head did. I fell. And I yelled for Ken. It was quite a graceful fall. I was wearing a denim skirt and a long sleeved shirt so I was covered up. No blood and no broken bones. The owner of the rig and his wife hauled me up off the sidewalk and held me up as we walked to our truck. Then I drove home to the ranch. Next time I will wait for Ken before crossing to the truck and next time I will get out the walker. I promise.

No comments: