Sunday, May 17, 2015

May 17, 2015. Harper, Texas. A Big Storm.

The middle of the night is the best time to have a big storm, especially when tucked into a cosy bed in your sturdy little house on the hill. Last night the winds were fierce. There is always a wind at the Top House but last night the winds were the loudest I have ever heard. The porches made it seem like the wind was shrieking. Then came the torrential rain which added to the general din. Next came the thunder and lightning, first as the storm came toward us, then as it drifted away. Every so often the storm would subside but soon it came back but with greater ferocity. With windows on both sides of the house, I could watch the storm coming and going. Most of the time, I would have been asleep but last night I saw and heard the whole storm. It was exciting. In our early years, Ken and I did a lot of camping. It was the only way we could afford to travel. I can recall many storms we survived in our tent. One night when camping in Cape Breton, a hurricane blew in and our center pole snapped. For the rest of the night the tent would billow out, then crash around our ears. We were happy to see daylight. I was grateful last night that we were not camping and that we were both warm and cosy in our bedroom. Getting old has advantages!!

No comments: