Wednesday, September 28, 2022

September 28, 2022. Western Head, Nova Scotia. By the Sea..

 Living by the Atlantic Ocean is wonderful.  But there are some negatives too.  The salty moist air makes everything rust so replacements are more frequent than if you live in town.   I replaced three outside doors last year because the bottoms rusted.  And we have replaced metal outdoor light fixtures twice.  My friend Mary coats all her outside metal with Vasaline, including the hinges and the bottoms of the doors.  No replacements for her.

 The breeze is always present, which is lovely during the summer.  But during the winter months the cold wind is chilly.  George, our builder, was going to sell his house in Brooklyn, the next town to Liverpool, in order to build himself and his wife on the water.  But he would not consider Western Head, because he said it was too cold.   So he bought a lot on the river and now is happy as a clam in his modern home where it is warm.  

Erosion is always a problem living by the shore.  I replaced the rock wall, installed in 1999 by Everett.  I am afraid to go and look at the latest storm to my new wall, installed in 2021.  Two things happen.  The heavy rains goes through the soil, taking part of the land when it gets to the water.  And then the water crashing into the shore removes rock and soil.  Eventually, erosion will win.  But not yet.

The positives far our weigh the negatives.  I do love living beside the ever changing bold Atlantic Ocean.  Ken and I always felt fortunate to live by the ocean.  But then we were not here in the winter.  But for me, I will be sorry to say goodbye to my home beside the sea.

No comments: