Thursday, October 14, 2021

October 14, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Eleanor.

This morning Eleanor came to have coffee with me at my house. She offered to bring coffee but I urged her not to do that because I have plenty of coffee. When I was getting ready to make my breakfast today, I only ate a small yogurt because in my heart of hearts, I just knew that Eleanor would bring a pastry, and she did. I was serving nuts only, while we drank our coffee but Eleanor brought not only a pastry but also a cup of fancy coffee. Southern hospitality in action. We have not seen each other since my return so I was delighted to talk with her. The best part of our conversation was when she told me that she has started to seriously draw, which is a precurser to painting. I was thrilled. Eleanor is a wonderful painter. One of her pieces hangs over my desk in the living room. But she has not been painting. I have tried not to be a nuisance but I have explored with her why she was not painting. I was determined not to bring it up this time. But Eleanor spoke first to tell me that she had been drawing. She even showed me two pictures she has done. I was beside myself with glee. Of course I needed to hear an update on the four children and husband Jim, and she wanted to know about Nova Scotia. But the best part of our morning was when she gave me the good news about her progress. In addition, she is teaching an art class for 6 thirteen year old girls, all but one cousins. But she has found the time in her day to get back to her art. She is pleased to be back working, and so am I.

No comments: