Thursday, October 21, 2021

October 21, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Curling.

When watching TV, I never watch commercials. Instead, I check my other favorite channels to see what is being shown. Sometimes I spot something that was better than what I was watching. For instance, when I was watching a baseball game the other evening, I spotted a biography of the blind and deaf lady, Helen Keller. It was more interesting than the game especially as the baseball lasted longer than the movie. Tonight, while watching the Dodgers and the Braves, I found Curling Night in America, a match being played by the ladies of Denmark and America. I watched till the end except during the commercials, when I checked back to the game. The curling was more interesting than the game. The American ladies won by one point. Ken and I got interested in curling when we were in Nova Scotia one March many years ago. Early in the week, we spotted the Brier, held each year in Canada to crown the Canadian men's curling champion. Ken had curled once as a kid but that was all we knew about curling except that we knew that lots of Canadians curled. We worked hard all week to figure out the rules and the dialogue. The announcers never gave any information, assuming that you knew everything you needed to know. But we persevered and learned. And we got hooked on curling. Now I love watching curling. Unfortunately, watching curling in the US is difficult. It is not popular. But tonight I got lucky and I watched every minute of the match. It was more exciting than the baseball game.

No comments: