Sunday, October 17, 2021

October 17, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. 68th Anniversary.

I recall when a 50th wedding anniversary was unusual. Today, my brother and sister-in-law, Dave and Irene, celebrated their 68th anniversary today. To celebrate they went out to lunch with all the family. They went to a lovely restaurant in Burlington, overlooking Lake Ontario. Pretty special. Dave and Irene were married in Vancouver, British Columbia on October 17, 1953. It turnrf out that they were young but not foolish. They managed their affairs well and their three children have become fine, successful adults. I was at their wedding although I almost missed it. My parents and I moved to Toronto in July, 1953. May sister stayed in Vancouver because she was in the wedding. Mother and Father intended to take the train back to Vancouver for the wedding, but the initial idea was to leave me home because travelling is expensice. But at the last minute, I was allowed to attend, which meant another train journey across Canada, which I loved. I remember the wedding well. I even remember what I wore, a gray suit. But the most important part of the wedding was that Dave and Irene tied the knot and never untied it. In addition, Ken and I have been friends with Dave and Irene all these years. At no time have we had any moment of unpleasantness. Being a part of their family life has been a great blessing to me. So my hat is off to Dave and Irene for celebrating their 68th wedding anniversary. It is quite an achievement.

No comments: