Thursday, October 7, 2021

October 7, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. My Book Stand.

Actually, it is a music stand but I use it to hold magazines and books when I am reading. Ken and I had given this pretty little music stand to Christina and Andrew, but when I struggled to hold my magaines, I asked Christina if I could borrow it back. She returned it to me and set it up beside my breakfast/reading chair. Now I use it every day. I bought the little music stand in 1973 in Kensington, MD. on Howard Avenue, the antique row. I was looking for an inexpensive old china cabinet to use at our first farm house in Pennsylvania. In the back corner of one of the stores, I spotted this little music stand. It was filthy. The base was covered with a thick green cream. The pole was black and the wood parts were so covered with dust that I could not tell the type of wood. But it was heavy. It was also $100. so I did not buy it. When I got home I described the little table to Ken and he suggested I return and buy it, which I did. When I brought it home and washed it down with soap and water in the backyard, I discovered that the base was iron, the pole was brass and the wood table and music stand was walnut. I had made a good purchase. I polished the brass which gleamed and I discovered that the only piece missing from the music stand was a bar that held a candle. It is still missing. But everything worked as built. The small round table can be adjusted up and down and the holder for the msic stand is on a bar that also can be moved up and down. For years, I used it as a music stand when I played my baritone. The rest of the time it just sat, looking pretty. Now my antique music stand is giving me good service as a book stand. Every day it plases me. Now my book does not shake when being held. I look normal beside my pretty little music stand. Eventually I will return it to Christina. But not yet.

No comments: