Sunday, October 3, 2021

October 3, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Things Break.

How does this happen? A week after my arrival in Nova Scotia, the water in the guest house stopped working. The cleaning lady used the water when she cleaned and all was well but when the Culligan man came to check the system, there was no water pressure. Frank the plumber fixed it by installing a new electronic control so all was well. When I asked Frank what had happened, he replied, "Things Break". And we laughed. When I returned to my Mississippi house, the AC in the bedroom was not working. By noon the next day, a new part was replaced and since then all has been well. It had been working when Peter stayed here in the summer when his daughter needed to isolate due to Covid. The young man who repaired the system had no explanation. "It could have been an electrical storm but it could have just broken all by itself," he said. The two ovens were working when I left. Ken had wanted to install new ovens when we moved in but I hated to replace what was not broken, so we left them in place. When Peter was here, the ovens did not work but I did nothing about it until I returned. Today, Chantes my handyman, checked it out. The main control panel is not working. "These ovens are very old," he said. "Time to replace them." So two new ovens have been ordered. In addition, on my counter is a brand new toaster oven, purchased by Chantes today. It will work until the ovens are installed. Lowes said the ovens should arrive in three weeks. It is all too true. Things just break for no apparent reason. Seems crazy.

No comments: