Tuesday, March 15, 2022

March 15, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. Rains and Pours.

This evening I received a phone call from David Nickerson. He is a friend from Nova Scotia. He is a skilled carpenter, thin and fit, but he was calling me from the hospital in Halifax. He had a heart attack and is now awaiting bi pass surgery. Four arteries are clogged. He is devastated because May 14 we were to board a ship to cruise the St. Lawrence River and the Great Lakes. He was looking forward to the travel and he was looking forard to helping me too. At the moment, I do not know the recovery time for heart surgery but I am not hopeful that he could make the trip. Alexa, on the computer, tells me that recovery from this surgery is one week in the hospital, followed by 4 to 6 weeks of recovery at home. As we are talking two full months he might make it. Fortunately he is in good condition. So I must make some decisions as if David will be able to take the cruise. And I must decide if I can take the cruise alone. I am now using a walker 100% of the time which will actually make it easier for me. Ken had the surgery many years ago but I do not recall his recovery. I know we began going to the farm soon after he was home from the hospital, but that was Ken, who was always pushing the boundaries. I feel so badly for David. He was really looking forward to the cruise.

No comments: