Thursday, March 17, 2022

March 17, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. March Madness.

Tonight it happened, something I look for in any tournament. I was delighted. Kentucky, who was seeded number 2 in their bracket, was beaten by St Peter's, a 15th seed. Of course, it helped my glee to see Kentucky lose because I do like neither their program nor their coach. I had smiles all over my face. The game was close and went into overtime. But the St.Peter's players stayed calm and did not get rettled under the pressure. Evidently St.Peter's University is a small Catholic school in New Jersey. And of course, The University of Kentucky is huge with a long storied history of excellence in basketball. But they lost tonight. Once upon a time, our family paid a lot of attention to March Madness. Ken ran off brackets for each of us and we filled then in carefully. It was fun watching the games. None of us ever selected the winners but one year Ken selected his winners by flipping a coin. And his team won the tournament. Both boys and I at the time knew a lot about the different college teams, while Ken knew nothing. But with a flip of the coin at every game, he won. Now for the past few years I have not paid much attention to March Maddness...until this year. I have watched no college basketball games this year and I know nothing about the teams either, so I started the tournament with no base of knowledge. I watch TV during lunch and dinner, so I watched games during that time. I discovered that I enjoyed watching those student athletes. I have watched several games that went to overtime and I have watched the players make terrbile mistakes. But the games were fun. But tonight was the most fun of all, when proud Kentucky lost to little St.Peter's team. Great sport.

No comments: