Thursday, March 31, 2022

March 31, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. Big Pharma.

I am not one of those folks who complain about Big Pharma. Both Ken and I would be dead long ago without the have medications developed by the large companies. Ken had lung disease which could not be cured. He was told he would a life expectancy of 42. But he lived to be 82. How did this happen? It was not a miracle. Antibiotics were developed over the years, which Ken took over the years. When his lungs got words, he would take a new antibiotic. And he got better. He always had a productive cough. When it was worse, he took medication. It kept him alive and functioning. He was grateful for Big Pharma. In April of 2015, Ibrance was approved by FDA. It is a chemotherapy specifically designed for people like me. The government fast tracked the approval because it was so successful during the trials. Fortunately, I needed it in May of 2015 because the chemotherapy I was using was about to kill me. My white cells were one, so my Oncologist recommended Ibrance, which I started immediately. After 13 months, the cancer in my bones, which were extensive, was gone. This was not remarkable. It was miraculous, according to my Oncologist in Texas. Ibrance saved my life. In the Fall of 2014, my life expectance was 4 to 5 months. But after potent infusion chemotherapy followed by Ibrance, here I am, still walking and talking. And not complaining. is The problem for the company Pfizer is that the medication will never be needed by many people. It is specifically for post menapausal women with stage four breast cancer. There are not many people in the world for the company to recoup their expenses. The medication is very expensive now and was difficult to develop. Every other meds in the arsenal of Pfizer must pay for me to take the chemo. That is how it works. It takes years to develop these medications, which mostly do not work. I am all for our system and I am always irritated to hear the slurs and arrows leveled on the companies. I say Hats off to them!!

No comments: