Monday, May 1, 2023

May 1, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Underdogs.

For some reason or another, I always cheer for the underdogs.  I think it is a common habit.  These hockey playoffs have been giving me a bonanza of unlikely winners and losers.  One aspect of playoffs  in the first round is watching the big guys go down to defect.  This year we have seen a lot of it.

For instance, the New York Rangers were supposed to win the series against the New England Devils.  But the Devils just won the 7th game of the first round.  And they won the game 4 to 0.  I loved it.  And yesterday the Boston Bruins who won more games than any other team had won during the year lost to the Florida Panthers, who had over 40 point fewer during the regular season and who just eeked into the playoffs. I called Boston to play for the Cup.  But not this year.

And the winner of last year's Stanley Cup went down to defect.  The team from Denver is now home for the summer.  Seattle was a new team last season so this is the first year they have been in the playoffs.  And much to anyones surprise, they won the first round.  And of course, Toronto and Edmonton are now into the second round.  So this year, we have lots of new blood in the playoffs.  No more Tampa Bay Lightning into the second round.  Instead we will watch to see if the Florida Panthers can defect Toronto.

Now there are 8 teams into the next round.  I must say that there were so many games on TV that I did not watch all the games.  Even a true sports nut like me was saturated with hockey.  But it was fun watching these big guns go down in defect.  The next round begins tomorrow.  I am ready.

No comments: