Tuesday, May 30, 2023

May 30, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Cabbage.

 I like to eat cabbage.  I enjoy cabbage in many forms.  I like cabbage rolls.  I like slaw.  I like the salad that Kenny and Anne made of purple cabbage.  And I like just plain old cooked cabbage served with butter.  But I am never served cabbage.  Last week, Portia was listing the vegetables she would buy at the grocery store and she asked if I liked cabbage.  I said yes.  So she bought one along with lots of other vegetables.  On Friday she asked if I wanted her to cook the cabbage so I could eat it over the weekend.  So she did.

Late in the morning, she went into the kitchen and announced that the cabbage was ready.  I asked if she knew where we kept the colander but she said that the way she cooked the cabbage she did not need to drain anything.  I thought that was interesting so I asked her how she cooked cabbage.  And she told me.  For my main meal on Friday I ate a small steak, cabbage and carrots.  I will tell you that the cabbage was delicious.

Here is what she did.  She chopped the whole cabbage into small but not tiny pieces.  In a large pot she sautéed chopped onions and peppers in olive oil until they are soft.  Then she put all the chopped cabbage into the pot and mixes the cabbage with the olive oil and seasonings.  Lastly she added a cup of chicken broth into the pot.  Turned the heat on low, covered the pot and let all the broth simmer down to nothing.  Then the cabbage is ready to eat.  The results were spectacular.  Cabbage southern style.  Just like their green beans.   

No comments: