Wednesday, May 17, 2023

May 17, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Bifocals.

When I was eight years old and living in Calgary, a clever eye doctor prescriber bifocals for me.  Well they were a disaster.  I was an active child and I fell all the time.  I ripped a dress.  I skinned a knee.  And soon I broke my glasses.  The whole event was traumatic for me.  I soon returned to single lens.  And I have refused to wear bifocal lenses ever since.  My solution has been to keep a pair of prescription reading glasses beside every chair where I read.  So all has been well.

Except where I watch television.  If I put on my reading glasses to read a text or to  look up a channel on my pad, I can not see the television.  And when I need to look at the small print on the remote and put on my reading glasses, I can not see the screen.  I had an extra pair of glasses so I just had that pair made into bifocals so I can both see the television or read.  I thought that as I was sitting still, I should be able to manage.  

Much to my surprise, they work like a charm.  Most everyone who use them do well but I was determined to never ever try bifocals again.  So don't ever tell me that you can't teach old dogs new tricks.  

No comments: